Still searching, like me?
Follow me on my journey
toward living, away from addictions and dependency on alcohol
without resorting to the usual 12-step program.


I can do this - you can too.

Plus, I will make you laugh along the way.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Why I drank...

Let me count the whys...

One major reason was the fact my mind has always been unquiet. Some people call it self-talk, I call it mind racing.

I have always had a voice, myself, talking inside my head, it was always noisy.

Drinking quieted it.

I asked my then husband a few years ago if he had that voice in his head. He considered me crazy and had no idea what I was talking about.

I called my parents, questioning my sanity.

My father had no idea what I was talking about, again suggesting insanity.

My mother did know what I was talking about, maybe she too was crazy?

In Rehab, that was an underlying commonality with the clients, racing thoughts. We all knew about them, and took our drug of choice to quiet them.

About two weeks into the program, I noticed my head was quiet, silent in fact. Oddest thing!

I still get the racing thoughts, my mind can be noisy, but I can control it sans alcohol now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me/About Time

Middle age...gads, how did I get here? With a new limited beverage selection. I think some of this can be traced to those life experiences, visited upon me by my family. In no particular order, the following stories have shaped my life.